Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Getting On With It

The sun has just set behind Uluru, creating a backdrop of pink, purple and grey hues in the sky. I find myself sitting on my verandah smoking a cigarette enjoying stillness and quiet.

Within a moment, the howling of dogs fills the air - echoing throughout the community. They started a fair way away, and now, they're getting closer.. I begin to hear a creaking sound - whatever it is, it needs oiling! Then I see. It is Lilian in her wheelchair, her 14 year old granddaughter is struggling to push her through the soft red sand. Lilian is softly spoken and quite shy, and she has a smile that brings light to the most darkest of hours.

I watch them as they disappear around the corner, the barking of the dogs moving with them.

I'm left wondering...

Just before this, I read the judgement of another 14 year old (whose name and community I won't mention) who hung herself from a tree with an extension cord after having an argument with her mother over cigarettes.

Why am I sharing this, you might ask? Not entirely sure, but, after seeing the front page of a Sydney newspaper writing about a $40M upgrade to the Sydney Fish Markets, I figured this young girls life was worth acknowledging, and, am questioning why - with this money floating around - why is it not being poured into remote communities - across Australia, not just NT - to improve and, add services. Communities in so called "hick towns" are forgotten about and ignored because they're out of view!

But back to Lili and her extraordinary grandaughter who we'll call 'Daisy'. Daisy attends school regularly and helps to care for her grandmother and two younger sisters. She is introverted and quite shy but once she gets to know you, she'll let you in and share with you her deepest passions and aspirations.

Now, we all know, most 14 year olds in the big smoke wouldn't want a bar of pushing their grandmother and her wheelchair through sand, I'm 27 and try to avoid any dealings with my grandparents! I cringe when I make the token phone call every six months!

Out here, that's just life. Young people and old people are doing many things others wouldn't care to. Because, the attitude people have is to just get on with it. Time isn't wasted, dwelling, thinking "why me?". Something's gotta be done, and they do it. They're not waiting for someone to come along and do it for them.
As I mentioned earlier, there is a severe lack of services and resources, less than people care to acknowledge. This has been accepted as; 'it is what it is'. No-one is sitting around waiting for a miracle. People get on with it and make do with what resources they have.

I'm happy to admit, that, for quite a while at one point in my life, I was a person who spent time blaming other people and feeling sorry for myself. And, I have people in my life who are blaming others and moping around. Not even attempting to make any changes - and these people are in the City - lots of support there!

So, what is it that keeps people going in these remote areas. What drives them? And, what's the excuse for those who have access to support and resources readily available to them in the realms of suburbia?

While these guys are getting on with it, what are we not getting on with in our 3 bedroom suburban homes and airconditioned offices? What are we blaming other people for?

And, when will the heart of this country be seen??

No comments:

Post a Comment