Monday, March 21, 2011

A Family Christmas December 16 2010

My day today has been extraordinary. The day before my 28th birthday. The day before I fly home to be with family for Christmas. I’ve seen blackfulla santa’s landing’ on the red dirt in helicopters, blown dogs heads off, and got pulled over for RBT by a copper who referred to me as ‘gorgeous’ (I know her of course!)

Earlier this afternoon, I was wheeling my suitcase over to the art centre to weigh it and I passed the spot where the dog went down. Red blood had stained the red sand, and the crows hovered. I stopped. Looked at where I was and what I was doing and I chuckled to myself. Where else could you wheel a suit case through the sand and see what I saw? I swear, sometimes I feel like I am living in some parallel universe.

Today, the community had it’s Christmas party. Old Reggie looked spectacular in his velvet red suit and thought he was way too deadly as he landed in that chopper.
So I write, from my humble little donga with it’s oversized bathroom - my own little universe and I daydream into tomorrow……

It was interesting today at this Christmas gathering. Gifts were handed out, rangers cooked a barbie. Angangu tjuta tjungu, mulapa - all the mob were together. Family, friends. The old pastor though, asked us to stop for a moment. He reminded us that all over the world, people celebrate Christmas by exchanging gifts and joining together for a feast. He reminded us further, that Christmas is more than that. It is the celebration of Jesus Christ. Now, for those of you who know me well, you will know that I am one of the least religious people you will come across. But in this moment, this man touched my heart. Not because I resonated with the birth of Jesus Christ. But because I resonated with stopping and getting present to family. The mob then joined in chorus, as they sang sweetly, in Pitjantjatjara, ‘O come all ye faithful’. I cried.

Family is a dynamic of it’s own and it means something very different for so many of us. For most of the year, certain members of my family don’t see or speak to one another. But at Christmas, we all come together. Family has always been important to me, but I’ve neglected to let them know this. Now, I know, tomorrow, when my cab pulls up to folks joint, my mother will be standing in the driveway, anxiously awaiting the arrival of her first born, who, as embarrassed as I am to admit, still calls ‘Beb’! What I also know, is that I will be instantly smothered with hugs, kisses, pinching of my cheeks, and her touching me to make sure I am real and there! All the things that drive me insane but I will let slip, because of course, she is my mother and I adore her. My father will ask how his little bush chick is and whether I’ve hunted recently and caught an emu!

See, my family have moulded who I am. They’ve provided me with strength, taught me generosity, instilled great values, and gave me independence. Who I am, is because of who they have been for me.

I’m coming home. And, I’m coming home to myself.

In turning 28, I’m undergoing my first Saturn return. A time of consolidation, gaining clarity, endings, beginnings - and - I’m excited to see what this next phase of my life holds for me! What I know, is that this summer, will be like none other I’ve known, and I can’t wait! I am excited by what is possible for me in 2011. And I know, that over this summer period, I will gain a new level of transformation and return to the dusty desert stronger, and in a new frame of mind to be ready for whatever is thrown at me.

In coming home, to family and to myself, I have already gained a sense of new found clarity and this inspires me.

So, wherever you are, and whoever you are sharing Christmas with, acknowledge who they are for you and the difference they have made to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment